Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The importance of Mindfulness

Mindfulness TED x - What makes successful people successful?


Parents:
The link above is a wonderful summary of why "mindfulness" is important.  In our technology driven society, we are all struggling with the ability to focus on one thing at time because there is so much stimulation surrounding ourselves.

Kids in particular have this problem because 1) they're kids!! They haven't the maturity to prioritize.  Seeing who is walking in from the bathroom is just as important to their brains as the reading they are doing 2) screen time is actually physically changing the way their brains are developing and their patience and endurance.

A video that I will play for the kids call it the space between an event and the reaction.  We need to create that space for kids to be thoughtful about what they should do or say.

Last year, I implemented mindfulness as part of a research group associated with UT, but I didn't implement it this year even though I believe in the concept.  Some staff development has gotten me back on track, and I hope your kids will start talking about it at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment