Friday, August 28, 2015

Week One and Done!

Every single year I am amazed at how quickly I form attachments to my class.  This group of 21 is an extremely sweet group of kiddos.

We survived Week One ... and I'm grateful it was only a four day week.  As a class we're starting to get up to speed.  We've touched on all subjects except for Spelling/Word Work which will officially start next Monday [the mysterious red spiral!]

The units we will be studying for next week are as follows:

  • Delving deeper into Fiction in Reading
  • Writing a personal narrative in Writing
  • Long and short vowels in Spelling
  • Multiplication continues in Math
  • Energy in Science
Third grade is an adjustment for students.  They are asked to be more independent.  I've noticed that socializing is a skill we do NOT need to work on, but listening carefully and working independently is.

I am not a silent classroom!  Ask your kids, we have played several games for "pride" not "prize" in science and do partner and group work frequently.  The difficulty is turning that level of conversation off and getting started on a task.  This next week I will contact you if your child in particular needs support in this area.

This is a GREEN week, so our specials area will be Music.  Monday is our new FCE Spirit wear day so dig out those coyote shirts and all hues of purple and green.  If you haven't already done so, consider signing up for Remind.com for class announcements.  The directions are in the post below.

SAVE THE DATE:  Thursday 9/3 is Back to School Night.  We'll meet at 6:00 - 6:30 in the classroom and then move to the cafeteria at 6:45 for some information from Mrs. Lehnick (if you attend that session with another grade it will be the same).

As always ... if you have a question or concern please drop me an email or give me a call.  I am happy to clarify in any way I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment